Monday, May 31, 2010

The Option To Say Goodbye

There are times in our lives, mostly desolate, when we exercise our right to say goodbye. Goodbye is such a wishful word! We use it to induce guilt, sustain longing, flame desires. We also use it to sever ties.
When we use it we believe that there will be a probable change in the status quo. We believe that at that moment in time, our lives take different paths. Goodbyes are Frost like, goodbyes are where the two roads diverge. Goodbyes are the points of divergence in our lives.

I have had my share of goodbyes too. Some have been pleasant and our paths still cross. These are the manageable goodbyes, these are like second life, one of us has decided to change our avatar or teleport ourselves to a different world, the other adjusts. There is another kind of goodbye. The titanic goodbyes. They were here until yesterday. There were with me when the sun went down, they never came back with the morning sun. Two roads diverged in the woods... forever and there was no time for just onelast goodbye.

Such goodbyes are titanic in dimensions. The loss is etched in our personal histories forever, and generations of relationships in waiting are affected by such goodbyes.

These days when I foresee parting around the corner, I prepare my smile and my script in advance, and when the time comes, I flash my smile and send link to one of my old poems. I love people who exercise their right to say goodbyes, I miss those who did not give me time for one more last goodbye.

Rajesh

No comments:

Post a Comment